What is scalp micropigmentation?
A healthy head of hair can have up to 2000 active follicles per square inch. When a man starts to notice the signs of genetic hair loss, also known as androgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness, feelings of anxiety or low self-esteem often follow.
Scalp micropigmentation is a revolutionary cosmetic technique that is non-invasive. It doesn’t require any surgery and is very similar to the process of getting a tattoo. Scalp micropigmentation is a hair simulation technique that gives the impression of a full head of shaven hair.
This revolutionary procedure forms part of the client’s overall physical appearance and self perception. For this reason, any treatment should be undertaken only by qualified and experienced professionals to be sure of achieving the best results.
The technician uses sterile precision needles with very fine points to deposit natural pigments into the epidermal layer of the scalp, to mimic the growth pattern of real hair follicles. The scalp pigments used at Velvet Pigmentation Clinic are of the highest possible quality to ensure zero irritation, and optimal result. Custom pigment shades are selected and blended for complete alignment with the skin tone of the client for a perfect finish. Depending on the clients individual requirements, multiple pigment shades are sometimes used to create a style that best suits the client’s facial structure and skin tone.
An SMP procedure is usually split into 3 sessions of 2-4 hours each. In the hands of an expert professional, the discomfort is a niggling 3 on the RatingPain level. Super fine needle points and the skill of the tattooist work in tandem to allow only superficial penetration wounds which heal with tiny pellet scabs almost immediately.
The most realistic scalp micropigmentation hairlines are indistinguishable from a natural buzz cut or razor shaved look, since the SMP artist follows the follicle density and pattern of the client’s remaining hair.
Who is scalp micropigmentation for?
Scalp Micropigmentation is for any man or woman suffering from mild to chronic hair loss, whether it be from hormonal imbalances or hereditary tendencies.
For male clients, the artist consults with the client and designs a hairline in keeping with the clients overall appearance, age and preference. The requirement is usually for the recipient to keep his hair shaved, although often they are able to maintain a longer length if they have sufficient hair density remaining.
For female clients, the purpose is to reduce the contrast between the hair and scalp, leading to variations in pigment selection and approach, although the technique is ultimately very similar. For women with diffuse thinning hair, or hair loss in isolated patches, scalp micropigmentation provides a camouflage solution to make these problems much less obvious.
Hair transplants leave behind scars, that often cause the bearer to become anxious. Scalp micropigmentation is very effective at hiding these scars without having to resort to invasive scar revision surgery..
Scalp micropigmentation (SMP) is a common procedure, used to cover the symptoms of alopecia areata, genetic hair loss, erratic hair thinning and hair transplant scars
The fact that it is much less painful, less expensive and a lot safer than conventional solutions adds to its appeal. Clients do not need to go under the knife or save for months to afford scalp micropigmentation. In the hands of an experienced artist, clients are able to find lasting closure and remove any hair loss related anxiety.
What are the advantages of SMP?
- SMP is SAFE! In fact, the needle penetration is shallower than an ordinary tattoo and the scalp starts healing almost immediately thanks to natural ‘scab’ formations. At Velvet Pigmentation Clinic, organic pigments are used, meaning that adverse reactions are virtually non-existent.
- Unlike the artificial appearance of a hair system or wig, scalp micropigmentation is almost indistinguishable from real hair The tiny needle points deposit just the right amount of pigment in the right shape to mimic the density and pattern of genuine hair follicles.
- SMP allows clients to choose a flattering hairline, accentuating the facial structure and rendering the clients overall appearance a lot more striking or natural (depending on client preference).
- SMP is cost effective. Learn about costs.
- SMP does not require regularly recurring expenses. Please note that tricopigmentation requires regular top-ups.
- The level of discomfort is extremely mild. If this aspect worries you, please call us. Topical anaesthetics can be applied to the scalp and the consumption of a mild anti-inflammatory tablet like ibuprofen can take care of any residual tenderness during or after the procedure.